Skip to main content

Sara’s Journals Part I

Winter
I don’t know if it was the stubborn cold air,
Or was it your fingers playing with my hair?
But I remember the love wafting on the breeze,
And the warmth of your arms struggling with the freeze.
There was a lonely moon on that snowy night,
But in the plight of darkness, you were my only sight.

December 10, 2013
It was just another winter day but the one I loved the most, Sunday. Lisa, my best friend and I used to loved Sundays. It was our favorite day of the week because a) no school and b) both of us would visit the cemetery to pay a visit to my grandma. That day after I laid down the fresh tulips on my grandma’s grave we sat on a bench doing people watching. Yeah, because the cemetery was the only place to do that, isn’t it? Now that I’m twenty-one, I have realized that sometimes eighteen-year-old brains are a bit too smart. But sometimes they just don’t work!
It was then Lisa asked me a stupid question. 'Which is the least romantic place there can ever be?' I answered, 'A cemetery.' But I think my answer had offended all those poor souls including my grandma who was buried in that place. So they decided to prove me wrong. Because in the next moment, my eyes lifted and met his gaze. If it was those dead people’s way of teaching me a lesson, boy I did learn well.
Suddenly a cemetery felt like the world’s most romantic place. I know, God not just proved me wrong in my theory but also proved me a hypocrite. Two birds with one stone. Smooth, dear Lord, very smooth! But it wasn’t in my hands to change what I felt in that moment. Maybe the angels started singing or it could be the poor souls that I had offended who took pity on me.
I ignored the fact that it was winter and blamed the cool breeze blowing my hair on this thing that they show in movies. You know the kind of things that happen when you see that one guy. Like when there’s no chance of the wind blowing but still your hair suddenly starts floating in every bloody direction because your gaze landed on the boy of your dreams? Right. Those things. Like I said, eighteen is not the brightest age. I later learned that they literally hold a fan in the movies in front of the girl for her hair to blow in every direction. I pity her hair.
And that’s how I met him. Sid. Tall, dark and handsome. I know, too cliché but true so can’t help it. He was there visiting his grandfather. At that time I can’t tell you how giddy I felt to see him there. Hey, I’m not selfish or a heartless person. Both my grandma and his grandfather lived a long happy life. And like the lovely grandkids that we were, we paid them visits regularly. Although, I wonder sometimes, why had I never seen him before in that cemetery? I mean, I’ve been going there since I was fifteen. Admit it, grandma; you were waiting for me to be eighteen and adult when I fall in love. Urghh. Whatever!
Who knew, my one answer would turn my whole life upside down and I’ll stumble upon this one person at a place where I would have never expected to meet him. God plays silly games with us. Or maybe it was you, grandma. I miss you. Thanks for sending him to me.
Sara
***

  
Spring
You entered my life like a spray of light at dawn,
It was time for the flowers to blossom and plants to reborn.
You came and you brought the colours in my life,
Like pastels, we blended with no signs of strife.
For the first time in my life, I felt love to the core,
It was like the butterflies fluttering and the way eagles soar.

March 12, 2014
          It’s been four years since I met Sid and stuck to him like glue. In my defense, he was really handsome. I mean, he still is. But hey, I’m a good catch as well. What can I say? He was (still is) smart, I was (still am) cute, and so we were bound to happen. Not to mention the game my grandma played even from buried deep under the ground. I tell you, it was inevitable. There were sparks in the cemetery. My grandma must have rolled in her grave with joy. Lisa thinks I’m stupid to believe that though. I can’t blame the girl. She got her guy, Jake, in a normal setting called the pub.  Me? I met Sid in a graveyard. How romantic! No offense to you grandma or any of your friends! But it’s kind of rare, no? Almost morbid. Again, no offense!
          So, Sid and I are rocking it. Like really hitting it off. I’m almost done with my college while Sid is already done with studies and got a cool and really great job. Lucky bastard! I mean can I just start working on people’s home already. I just want to be done with this whole college thing and have a prefix of interior designer put in front of my name. Soon, very soon.  
          Speaking of which, I’ve got great news! But let’s go back a bit. I think Sid and I need to work on a few things. Like maybe trying to have our memorable moments in a romantic place. Or at least a place where people are not buried and neither take a piss!
          It was just like another day. Oh, forget it! It so wasn’t. It was my twenty-second birthday! So the four of us that is me and my boy, Lisa and Jake decided to hit the club. We had drinks, I had a lot more. Like the puking-my-guts-out lot more. In my defense, it was my birthday!
          So, there I’m in front of a mirror with a heaving stomach and trying to get my retching under control inside the ladies’ toilet of a nightclub and suddenly the door bursts open and Sid walks in. Seems like a scene out of a movie or a romance novel, isn’t it? I bet what happened next was nothing like that though.
          'Will you marry me?'
          Yes! He proposed to me on that very floor of a ladies’ toilet. He held a lovely solitaire ring while kneeling on one knee in an equally sparkling floor and asked me to marry him. How romantic! I don’t care how posh the club was and how clean the toilet was, it was luxurious but still a lavatory! So, there I stood with a sour taste in my mouth and the idiot made those puppy eyes at me and I’m not a cruel person to kick a puppy. I said yes! Yes! Oh, yes, I’m engaged to the world’s most handsome but at the same time an idiot guy.
          Who the hell proposes his girl inside a toilet of a nightclub? Sid, that’s who! Grow up, boy. It’s the days of spring. Flowers are blooming everywhere; trees are being gracious with green leaves. A park would have been an ideal place to propose if not a candlelight dinner, which he could totally afford, by the way. Anywhere but the toilets!
          I now get it, grandma. I know now why you always called grandpa 'a senile man.' And now I know why mum always calls dad 'a crazy guy' behind his back. Because men are stupid! Well, can’t help there though. You ladies worked around it, I’m sure I’ll manage it too!
Sara
***
To Be Continued...

Comments